The Civita Institute Creative Retreat Fellowship Program offers architects, artists, writers and other professionals the opportunity to work and study at the Civita Institute facilities in the Italian hilltown of Civita di Bagnoregio. Please note that Creative Retreat Fellowships require member contributions to The Civita Institute, as described below.
ABOUT THE CIVITA INSTITUTE
Founded in 1981, the Mission, Vision, and founding principles of the Civita Institute are to:
- Inspire and foster an interdisciplinary understanding of the unique qualities of Italian hill towns that remain pertinent to our contemporary experience through the promotion of historic preservation, education and scholarly research, artistic creation, cultural exchange, and professional explorations. (Mission)
- Inspire design excellence through education, cultural exchange, and exploration of the unique qualities of Italian hilltowns. (Vision)
- Explore the principles that architecture and preservation, environmental stewardship, agricultural heritage, and cultural exchange are all linked, and that Civita and other hill towns of Italy provide a unique setting to experience these connections.
Located 75 miles north of Rome, the historic Civita Institute facilities provide a unique basecamp for program participants to explore dozens of significant hill towns, cities and cultural sites between Rome and Florence. Situated in the ancient hill town of Civita di Bagnoregio, facilities of the Civita Institute are nestled into the pedestrian-only, historic town that is accessed via foot bridge. The town is well-known for its surrounding natural beauty, its intact historical and architectural splendor, its central piazza, historic church, geological museum, and local shops. The Civita Institute provides a small studio workspace, an excellent architectural library, and private residential accommodations with small kitchens (we do not offer commercial lodging) plus a large, breath-taking garden and smaller communal courtyard spaces.
We encourage you to review project samples from past Creative Retreat Fellows:
Click to view our past Civita Institute Creative Retreat Fellows »
CIVITA INSTITUTE CREATIVE RETREAT FELLOWSHIPS 2023
Application Deadline: April 1, 2023, 11:59 PM, Pacific Standard Time –
Contact email: firstname.lastname@example.org
The Civita Institute Creative Retreat Fellowships are open to architects, planners, designers, artists, writers, and other professionals residing within the United States or internationally. The ability to communicate effectively in English is required and a basic knowledge of Italian is encouraged. Creative Retreats provide a unique opportunity for recipients to undertake a project of their own choosing and that does not require a juried selection.
Please note: Creative Retreat Fellowships stays are granted to accepted applicants as member benefits and require a minimum member contribution to The Civita Institute of $43 per day, which must be contributed at least 60 days in advance before the start of the stay in Civita in order to secure your accommodations. Creative Retreat Fellowship minumum stays are 21 days, maximum stays are 30 days.
Proposed projects must resonate with the Mission, Vision, and founding principles of the Civita Institute in which exemplar results may be obtained from this highly unique setting, far from routine obligations.
Creative Retreats will be scheduled around the idea of “seasons” to cluster creative minds together, generating greater opportunities for cross-disciplinary exchange, and strengthening a sense of community. The following seasons are available for 21-day to 30-day Creative Retreat stays:
- July 12–September 10, 2023
- February 1–March 31, 2024
A season may be comprised of Creative Retreat Fellows and other Civita Institute Fellows or other Civita Institute Members. Applicants will be asked to indicate on their application which season(s) they are available to attend. Creative Retreatants will be housed for 21 days (minimum) to 30 days (maximum) in one of three, Renaissance-era, tufo stone houses with a restored kitchen, bath, bedroom, and workspace at the Civita Institute's historic properties and grounds in Civita di Bagnoregio, Italy. Read more here about the facilities of the Civita Institute.
- $0.00 for current members of the Civita Institute at the time of the application’s due date—2/15/23
- $45.00 for non-members of the Civita Institute. Fee is non-refundable and includes a one-year membership in the Civita Institute which enables the Creative Retreat Fellow to stay at the facilities of the Civita Institute, for the duration of the Creative Retreat Fellowship, for a period of up to one year from the time of the membership donation.
Creative Retreatant Fellows must be able to attend the full length of their Creative Retreat. Creative Retreat Fellows are expected to reside at the facilities of the Civita Institute for their entire Creative Retreat unless the approved proposal stipulates that overnight travel elsewhere is necessary for completion of the project. Family members, partners, or pets cannot be accommodated unless the Creative Retreat proposal clarifies that their presence is required for completion of the project. Visitors are limited to a two-night stay that must be pre-arranged per Civita Institute Visitor Conditions, requiring Civita Institute membership minimum annual contribution ($75) plus $10/night contribution, paid in advance.
EVALUATION OF CREATIVE RETREAT FELLOWSHIP PROPOSALS
The Civita Institute Board of Directors will evaluate proposals according to the following criteria:
- Relevance of the Creative Retreat Fellowship proposal to the Civita Institute Mission, Vision, and/or founding principles
- Focus of the Creative Retreat proposal
- Feasibility of proposed methodology
- Final form of the Creative Retreat project
- Demonstrated ability to complete the project within a realistic timeframe
CREATIVE RETREAT DELIVERABLES AND EXPECTATIONS
- Satisfy the originally approved proposal or have your new proposal approved by the Board of Directors prior to activation.
- Provide the deliverable described in your Application to the Civita Institute’s Archive and Collections within 6 months of your Creative Retreat.
- The Civita Institute shall be clearly acknowledged in any display, exhibit, or publication (whether online, in print, physical exhibit, or otherwise) that includes all or part of the product(s) of the Creative Retreat Fellowship.
- The Civita Institute shall be permitted to publish all or part of the product(s) of the Creative Retreat Fellowship in its nonprofit communications, marketing, publications, and events (live or otherwise), giving credit to the Creative Retreatant originating the work, but without the necessity of obtaining additional permissions.