Membership and Outreach
The Civita Institute is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization whose support from individuals and professional organizations results in membership in the Civita Institute. Benefits of membership vary with the level of membership donation, and donations are tax exempt to the extent allowable by law. Please see further discussion below. Our federal tax ID number is 91-1154445.
Please note the following important considerations regarding tax deductions associated with your donations.
1. The Civita Institute does not provide tax advice and you are advised to seek your own tax counsel regarding any tax deductions. In general, though, the amount of any tax deduction available to you will be based on your contribution amount, minus the market value of any associated benefit you receive. For example, donations to the Civita Institute at certain levels provide for member stays at our facilities in Civita. The current market value of these stays is determined to be $100 per night. These benefits expire three years after your donation. If you anticipate using your stay benefits during that period you should not claim a tax deduction except to the extent your contribution exceeds the market value of your stay.
2. Current IRS rules do not require tax letters for donations at or below $75. The rules currently state that the full amount of a donation to a 501(c)(3) organization at or below $75 may be deducted, and incidental benefits (such as discounts to events) do not affect the tax deduction at this level. These IRS rules can change, and you are strongly advised to always seek your own independent tax advice if claiming any tax deductions. In addition, you must keep in mind that the Civita Institute allows donors to accrue three year's worth of consecutive annual donations at $75 per year to realize a 3-night stay benefit (market valued at $300). Accordingly, this may result in you gaining a benefit that will reduce your ability to claim a tax deduction. Again, if you anticipate taking advantage of this $75 per year accrual - and using such a stay benefit in the future - then you should not claim your donations as tax deductions.
3. Memberships are valid for one year, though stay-benefits currently extend for three years from the date of donation. Please email email@example.com with any questions.
Annual Membership Levels
Fellowship Applicant / Student Membership: $45
Individual Membership: $75 (3-night member stay at our facilities in Civita after 3 consecutive years of membership; expires 3 years after the third consecutive $75 donation)
Supporter: $225 (3-night member stay at our facilities in Civita)
Friends of Civita: $500+ (7-night member stay at our facitilies in Civita)
Memberships at the $500 and above level enable participation in the Friends of Civita Institute.
• Discounts for live (and virtual) events
• Member-stays at the levels noted above
• Postcard set mailed to new members
• Welcome and recognition in our quarterly newsletter
Member-Stays Membership support (at the levels noted above) enable members residence at our facilities in Civita di Bagnoregio; while attending an educational program; or participating in Fellowships or Residencies. For specific questions and availability, contact firstname.lastname@example.org (Note: our facilities are not available for commercial use).
Use of the Civita Institute facilities in Civita di Bagnoregio including the Zarina-Heywood Library with the significant Civita Collection, the courtyard, the vegetable garden, and the terrace overlooking the incredible EU-protected valley (not available for commercial use).
Use of the research materials in the Zarina-Heywood Library, subject to prior notification.
Eligibility to apply for Civita Institute Fellowships (without additional fee)
The satisfaction of knowing that you are supporting an educational nonprofit in the heart of historic Italy and are helping to preserve its way of life and impact on current and future generations of Italians and Americans.
Thank you for your support!